Monday, January 10, 2011

GF Foods for a Healthy You

OK. Now that we've discussed what gluten is and how it can sneak its way into foods we never would imagine, let's talk about the foods you can eat. :) The important part of living gluten free is not simply eliminating gluten. It's learning how to replace it with both delicious and nutritious alternatives. For me, this was initially a very difficult and distressing task. I think this was partly because on my first trip to the grocery store I went with only a "Do Not" eat list. Once I got past the produce section, I started reading the labels of all my faves. Seemed as if everything was now on this list; and label after label I became more and more discouraged. After a couple hours and only a few items in my cart because I just couldn't find anything I felt would be safe for me to place in it, I left - leaving the cart behind. Hopefully, this information will help you not only know what to avoid, but what you can eat and eat safely and happily. There is joy, much joy, and satisfaction that can be found in g-free living!

Naturally GF Foods
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables
  • Meat (untreated, unsliced)
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Eggs
  • Vanilla and vanilla extract in its purest form
  • Spices in their purest form
  • Many grains such as
  1. Rice-white, brown, risotto, jasmine, and basmati
  2. Corn, cornmeal, grits, and polenta
  3. Rice flour - white rice, brown rice and sweet rice
  4. Teff
  5. Millet
  6. Montina
  7. Coconut
  8. Amaranth
  9. Sorghum
  10. Quinoa - flour, cereal, and flakes
  11. Arrowroot starch
  12. Potato - starch and flour
  13. Tapioca
  14. Nut flours - like almond, pecan, and cashew
  15. Chick pea, soy, bean and garbanzo
  16. Sweet potato

Because you cannot substitute wheat flour with a gluten free flour cup-for-cup, the best advice I can give is to keep things simple - at least until you get familiar with living gluten free (later we'll talke about baking g-free). A good place to start is by focusing on the naturally gluten-free foods. It's all gluten free no matter what you choose. Plain, fresh, organic produce and meats along with nuts and seeds are all GF naturally. Rice and potatoes are as well. But some of my new favorites are almond and coconut flours and quinoa. Try quinoa instead of rice. It cooks up quickly, just like rice, and soaks up the herbs and spices you add to it. I use a pressure cooker and it cooks up perfect every time.

For breads, muffins and crackers, there's an excellent GF bakery called "Out of the Bread Box." They take mail-orders and their products do not taste like sawdust. :) For sandwiches, you might try using a romaine lettuce leaf or a corn tortilla as a wrap. Maybe even try a GF waffle to create a panini. Remember, there will be an adjustment period for both your tastebuds and your psychic (oh ya, sometimes it's simply mind over matter at first). So, I encourage you to not focus on what you cannot have but on the whole, healthful, fresh foods you can have. And please remember to smile and laugh every day. Laughter is truly the best medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment